CATEGORY III - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING - PAPER I
- EM Theory:
- Electric and magnetic fields.
- Gauss's Law and Amperes Law.
- Fields in dielectrics, conductors and magnetic materials.
- Maxwell's equations.
- Time varying fields.
- Plane-Wave propagating in dielectric and conducting media.
- Transmission lines.
- Band Theory, Conductors, Semi-conductors and Insulators.
- Insulators for electrical and electronic applications.
- Magnetic materials.
- Ferro and ferri magnetism.
- Ceramics, Properties and applications.
- Hall effect and its applications.
- Special semi conductors.
Measurements and Instrumentation:
- Circuits elements.
- Kirchoff's Laws.
- Mesh and nodal analysis.
- Network Theorems and applications.
- Natural response and forced response.
- Transient response and steady state response for arbitrary inputs.
- Properties of networks in terms of poles and zeros.
- Transfer function.
- Resonant circuits.
- Threephase circuits.
- Two-port networks.
- Elements of two-element network synthesis.
- Units and Standards.
- Error analysis, measurement of current, Voltage, power, Power-factor and energy.
- Indicating instruments.
- Measurement of resistance, inductance, Capacitance and frequency.
- Bridge measurements.
- Electronic measuring instruments.
- Digital Voltmeter and frequency counter.
- Transducers and their applications to the measurement of nonelectrical quantities like temperature, pressure, flow-rate displacement, acceleration, noise level etc.
- Data acquisition systems.
- A/D and D/A converters.
- Mathematical modelling of physical systems.
- Block diagrams and signal flow graphs and their reduction.
- Time domain and frequency domain analysis of linear dynamical system.
- Errors for different type of inputs and stability criteria for feedback systems.
- Stability analysis using Routh-Hurwitz array, Nyquist plot and Bode plot.
- Root locus and Nicols chart and the estimation of gain and phase margin.
- Basic concepts of compensator design.
- State variable matrix design.
- Sampled data system and performance of such a system with the samples in the error channel.
- Stability of sampled data system.
- Elements of non-linear control analysis.
- Control system components, electromechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic components.
CATEGORY III - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING - PAPER II
- Electrical Machines and Power Transformers:
- Magnetic Circuits - Analysis and Design of Power transformers. Construction and testing. Equivalent circuits.
Losses and efficiency. Regulation.
- Auto-transformer, 3-phase transformer. Parallel operation.
- Basic concepts in rotating machines. EMF, torque, basic machine types. Construction and operation, leakage
losses and efficiency.
- D.C. Machines. Construction, Excitation methods.
- Circuit models.
- Armature reaction and commutation. Characteristics and performance analysis.
- Generators and motors. Starting and speed control. Testing, Losses and efficiency.
- Synchronous Machines. Construction.
- Circuit model. Operating characteristics and performance analysis. Synchronous reactance. Efficiency. Voltage
regulation. Salient-pole machine, Parallel operation. Hunting. Short circuit transients.
- Induction Machines. Construction. Principle of operation. Rotating fields. Characteristics and performance
analysis. Determination of circuit model. Circle diagram. Starting and speed control.
- Fractional KW motors. Single-phase synchronous and induction motors.
Analog and Digital Electronics and Circuits
- Types of Power Stations, Hydro, Thermal and Nuclear Stations.
- Pumped storage plants. Economics and operating factors.
- Power transmission lines. Modeling and performance characteristics. Voltage control. Load flow studies. Optimal power system operation. Load frequency control.
- Symmetrical short circuit analysis. Z-Bus formulation.
- Symmetrical Components. Per Unit representation. Fault analysis.
- Transient and steady-state stability of
- Equal area criterion.
- Power system Transients.
- Power system Protection Circuit breakers.
- HVDC transmission
- Semiconductor device physics, PN junctions and transistors, circuit models and parameters, FET, Zener, tunnel,
- Schottky, photo diodes and their applications, rectifier circuits, voltage regulators and multipliers, switching behavior of diodes and transistors.
- Small signal amplifiers, biasing circuits, frequency response and improvement, multistage amplifiers and feed-back amplifiers, D.C. amplifiers, coupling methods, push pull amplifiers, operational amplifiers, wave shaping circuits.
- Multivibrators and flipflops and their applications.
- Digital logic gage families, universal gatescombinational circuits for arithmetic and logic operational, sequential logic circuits.
- Counters, registers, RAM and ROMs.
- Microprocessor architecture - Instruction set and simple assembly language programming.
- Interfacing for memory and I/O.
- Applications of Micro-processors in power system.
- Types of modulation; AM, FM and PM.
- Demodulators. Noise and bandwidth considerations.
- Digital communication systems.
- Pulse code modulation and demodulation.
- Elements of sound and vision broadcasting.
- Carrier communication.
- Frequency division and time division multiplexing
- Telemetry system in power engineering.
- Power Semiconductor devices.
- Power transistor, GTOs and MOSFETs. Characteristics and operation.
- AC to DC Converters;
- 1-phase and 3-phase DC to DC Converters.
- AC regulators.
- Thyristor controlled reactors; switched capacitor networks.
- Inverters; single-phase and 3-phase.
- Pulse width modulation.
- Sinusoidal modulation with uniform sampling.
- Switched mode power supplies.